So, yes. I have been sort of lurking around LJ, and I feel as though there are several completely different posts I want to make, but I am entirely too lazy to go through.
In no particular order:
(1) How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Podfic. I've realized that if I ever want to commute via bus (a not entirely implausible possibility in the future), that will possibly mean lots of time on a vehicle that will make me motion sick if I attempt to read on it. So, I have decided to obsessively download lots of podfic right now and then consider maybe trying my hand at reading some myself in preparation for things that will not happen until August at the earliest.
(2) I am (finally) reading the Termeraire books, and while they have nifty worldbuilding and great characters, I can't get over how upset I am that Temeraire is a Chinese dragon, but he looks exactly like Western dragons, except with a head frill and whiskers. There's even a picture to show it. The Imperials are not my dragons. It makes me feel like some of the things I love are being painted over, hidden, and ignored in an attempt to 'universalize' it. And by 'universalize,' I mean 'Westernize,' and that bothers me. That bothers me a lot.
(3) Incidentally related to (2), I really wish it wasn't everyone's first instinct to hearing about my (and others') anger and pain and upset over ism-issues in canon X to tell me in my own space (a) how they are capable of utilizing their privilege to ignore the problems in X or (b) how much they love X despite the ism-issues I have just raised. No, really. All it makes you look like (to me) is a self-absorbed asshole incapable of resisting the "Post New Reply" button. The last thing I want to see in response to a statement that something is hurting me is someone saying directly to me, "oh, but it doesn't hurt me." CONGRATU-FUCKING-LATIONS, YOU ARE CLEARLY MORE DEVELOPED THAN ME. I WILL NOW BOW DOWN TO YOUR OBVIOUS SUPERIORITY NOW.
No, it does not make you a bad person to enjoy problematic canons. What makes you a bad person is the fact that you feel the need to justify your enjoyment to me. Because that is not necessary, and all it does is hurt me more.
(4) Have now seen all of the Doctor Who specials. I was going in expecting nothing, but I was pleasantly entertained by them in a "I am stuck on a plane and have nothing better to do" sort of way. Well, except for the end of End of Time, part 2. That dragged on waaaaaaaay too long. I am really kind of psyched for Eleven, though, if only it means that I get more universe, because I adore the Who-verse (and its many, many inconsistencies) so much. Also, fandom, pls be writing me more fanwank Martha/Mickey explanation fic.
On a related note, I am in the process of watching the David Tennant/Patrick Stewart production of Hamlet, and I am rather enjoying it. I am kind of a Shakespeare n00b, to tell the truth, but I do like new spins on old stories. Always, always, always.
(5) I worked on my picfor1000 fic, and now the only real problem is that three different programs give three different word counts for identical bodies of text, which drives me nuts. I will probably pick one and then cry as AO3 cruelly picks a different one and laughs and laughs and laughs at me.
(6) Wisdom teeth are being pulled out tomorrow. This will probably be fun, if by "fun" you mean "incredibly unfun."
This entry was originally posted at http://thedeadparrot.dreamwidth.org/457114.html. You can comment there using OpenID.